Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Daybook Journal

Let’s talk about productivity and accountability.

We’ve discussed many apps that will help you write, organize, and market. But what about an overall picture of how you are progressing with your writing? I realize not all writers are in this to make money, have huge word counts, or to publish. But it’s always good to check in with yourself about your career, dream, hobby—whatever writing is to you.

I introduced Google Keep with my first blog post—still my favorite app and later wrote about Focus To-Do. These are great for making those To-Do lists and remembering your finished items. (A huge bonus for me. Did I do that? Do what? Checks Keep.) It’s very useful and handy, but they don’t chronicle your activities. (Focus is better for that actually, but…)

I came across Daybook a few months ago when I was feeling unproductive and discouraged about writing. To be honest, I’m a list checker and an organizer. I like to get things done and fast. Unfortunately, the publishing industry doesn’t work that way. I had four books I want out in the world, but they need polish, rewrites, critique, and much TLC (not to mention covers, blurbs, and ads). And COVID quarantine was getting to me. I was not leaving the house, not hitting the gym, not enjoying any kid-free time. So I asked Google Play, “Do you have anything that will let me log my accomplishment?” Google said try this.

Daybook is a diary, a journal, and a datebook with a simple interface. It tracks entries on a small calendar. You can store both information and pictures. With the premium features, you can add and use templates and even track moods. You can enter multiple entries each day. Daybook also has a print option that connects to your printer or saves the file as a PDF.

This app is only available for Android phones at the moment. It has a web interface to link with Google, or Facebook, or use a personal log on. The data is backed up by cloud and protected if you put personal information on there. Daybook is similar to other journaling apps out there. Unfortunately, I still do not own an i-device to sample Apple programs. Hopefully, the idea of using Daybook to record thoughts will help Apple users find a compatible program.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment