Tuesday, November 3, 2020

How Can NaNoWriMo Help Authors?

 
One word, people—Community. And productivity. Wait, that’s two words…

Two words, people—Community, productivity, and inspiration. Okay… this isn’t working.

National Write a Novel Month holds a special place in my heart. It was not where I started writing. (I was an eleven-year-old kid under the covers with a flashlight adding love stories to The Outsiders.) It wasn’t where I went professional. (Thank you Romance Writers of America for that.) But NaNo is where I found my grove.

I’m a fast drafter. I can write a 1000 words in an hour if I press. Sixty percent of it will be “was,” “had,” and redundance sentences, but I can do it. I’m also a plotter and usually have my entire novel thought out. (Not the details. Characters tell me stuff all the time as I draft, but they rarely change the plot.) But I don’t write every day. I can go months without new words for a fiction piece. (I’ve been good with these blogs. Crap, now I’ve jinxed it!)

My competitive streak likes to peek its head out once in a while. I’m not malicious, but I love to win things. I like to be first. It goes without saying that eBay is a problem. But I digress. I remember working alongside another new author with my first book. For me, it was a race to the finish (though I tried NOT to be competitive about it). NaNo used to let me compare myself to other writers through the Buddy view and another add-on program. Those features are disabled, and that’s a good thing.

What it boils down to is NaNoWriMo is great for me.

What about you?

Are you looking for writing partners? Buddies, Groups, and Forums will help with that. Find your friends, find local authors, find writers from around the country and the globe. Connection is as easy as responding to a forum post. I’ve found that most authors who participate in NaNo are down-to-earth and approachable. You won’t find the elites who disparage certain genres or types of writing. If you post in a forum something like “I’m drafting an erotic witch story about a bus driver with political aspirations” no one will poo-poo your idea. They may brainstorm with you, ask questions, and cheer you on, though. That’s pretty awesome.

Do you need inspiration? Search for the wonderful messages NaNo sends out from professional authors. They talk about the industry, the head work, the real meat of writing. In our Albany group, our MLs send out inspiring messages all the time. And it’s not just a November thing. The National site has talks and things going on all year round. Again, check to those forums to ask for ideas, encouragement, and support. If you have a local group, read their forums, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram pages.

Do you need to be productive with your own writing? NaNo is a great way to get moving forward whether you are starting a project, finishing one, or dealing with a saggy middle. Besides the November push for an entire novel, there are two “camp” sessions. These mini NaNo events allow you to create your own goal. Rather than fifty thousand, you can choose another number, an editing goal, or even time spent working on your project. The site uses a summer camp theme to inspire authors to write. Look for these events in April and July.

On the same note, having a designated time (month, week, etc.) dedicated to your writing can help you work through blocks, find your story, explore a new genre. In other words, use November to be productive as a writer. I know it’s tough with Thanksgiving in the middle, but check out this list of books written during Nano. If that doesn’t inspire you, I don’t know what will.

I keep singing the praises of my local group, which has blossomed in the past few years. Thanks to the effort of our ML, Shannon, and later by her two co-MLs, Grace and Rose, the Albany group has grown into a wonderful family. Perhaps your local group feels lacking. My advice is to stand up and help the group grow.

Community is one of the best things for writers. Finding other professionals (and amateurs, of course) who love writing, adore story, and want to share. Be a part of it. Put yourself out there. If you are nervous, this is a great year to do it. Since all events must be virtual this year, host a Twitter or Facebook event. You don’t have to turn on a camera. Merely post “Start” and “Stop” to begin. Ask people after a sprint how it went. Begin small or big. Just start.

I could go on (and I have!). In short, National Write a Novel Month can seriously help you as an author to build a community, be inspired, and get that book finished (or started). Please participate!

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ginny! Thank you for the inspiring post. I wrote my first book on NaNoWriMo, and after countless drafts, it was picked up by TWRP. My second book is with my editor now. I'm on my third attempt with NaNoWriMo. For me, it pushes me on to see the words accumulating each day. November is an exciting month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed your post last week. Yes! I've been drafting in NaNo for years. Both my TWRP started with Nano too.

      Delete