Tuesday, November 1, 2022

KeePass

 


I’ve had a recent setback with computing. My PC of eight years died. I like to think I’m a savvy computer user, but, alas, no. I relied on Chrome and Firefox to save my passwords and to keep me connected. When the machine went down, my quick access shortcuts to various apps also disappeared. I learned my lesson the hard way.
Let’s talk about password managers.
Many apps can manage passwords with different levels of security. Some charge a monthly cost, and others are free. I picked KeePass because it’s compatible with Apple, Windows, IOS, and Android. It’s also free.
KeePass can be downloaded on a mobile device as well as a desktop or laptop computer. It’s available in the App store for all platforms. The product is open source—meaning users can check out the code, but don’t worry, it’s still safe and secure. The open source is more for users to check that KeePass is living up to its claims.
With this software, you will create a database of your passwords. One master password will open the database to give you access to all the entries. There is also the option of using Key files which can be saved on a disc or USB.
The software can work off a USB stick, so it does not need to be loaded on a computer to work. (Great for when your PC crashes and you need those passwords to start!)
Files can be exported to various text formats or as a file to be transferred. The entire database is one file, and you can easily move it to that new computer.
You can create groups of passwords within the software for quick searches to find a missing code.
Next week, I’ll share how to use KeePass as I build my database and get a sigh of relief from my husband.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Will keep this one in mind. Passwords are a pain in the neck. Crooks get them and I can't remember them. sigh.

    ReplyDelete