Tuesday, November 15, 2022

KeePass for Authors

 


Successful authors are using a variety of apps to get their books in front of readers. We’ve talked about quite a few from Scrivener to Book Brush to Google Keep. Many require unique passwords or have complex purchase codes. An important part of the “author” business is keeping these organized and ready for use.

I’ve mentioned that my PC of ten years crashed. Luckily, I purchased a backup drive for the house, and most of my work was saved. But not my passwords. I used Chrome and Firefox as browsers and relied on them to keep track of my passwords. It wasn’t a good system when it broke down. I’ve been using KeePass since the crash, reloading my passwords, and realizing how many things I need to track. If we crash again, my data file is safely secured away, and I can get back up again quickly.

Needless to say, KeePass keeps everything organized and in one place. It’s important to keep your passwords complex as many are tied to your brand and your credit card. Perhaps you’ve made your Amazon Author Page with a complex logon, and it keeps that data secure. But what if your Instagram or Facebook account does not have that security? Those apps are your links to social media and your fans. No one wants to get hacked, lose face, or have their brand tarnished. Using KeePass, authors can create hard to hack passwords for all apps and still have easy access to those accounts.

The nice option about KeePass is you can make it as complex or simple as needed. Make a Master password and memorize it. Then you only need to remember one code and can tap into your database to grab the ones you need later. You can make the database simple with a list of each app and pass, or you can create groups. Separating household logins from your author brand is a great idea. KeePass lets you make as many groups as needed.

Again, there are other password keepers out there. KeePass is only one in the long list of useful apps for this function. Research what you need for your level of security for your home and business. Because writing is a business. Our author accounts are tied to our credit cards, bank accounts, and our social outlets. You are your brand, and no one wants to be the victim of identity theft.

Even if you don’t separate author items from personal, even if you don’t have pen names and multiple accounts to juggle, use some sort of password keeper beyond a black notebook on your computer desk.

Trust me.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment